Following an idea from Doug Killick, a local volunteer at the Regiment Museum and grandfather to two of our ex-pupils, we are proud to announce our Poppy project here at Barnes Farm Junior.
The project, announced on Dave Monk’s BBC Essex show today, has the following aims:
• To promote a greater understanding of the First World War on its 100 year anniversary
• To recognise the wide range of contributions to the War from a local perspective
• To further an understanding of the heritage of Remembrance
• To further the understanding of the use of the poppy as a symbol of remembrance and hope
The children from each class will be finding out about the stories of one or two specified individuals from a hundred years ago. These people reflect our community in its widest sense and are comprised of British and Commonwealth soldiers as well as women from Springfield. A visit for a class representative to the Chelmsford Museum is being organised. All these stories will be shared in an assembly on Friday 27th June. The children will all have an opportunity to then plant some poppies on our school site on either 30th June or 1st July. BBC Essex radio is keen to visit and capture this moment too!
If you have a story to tell about a relative who lived locally during World War One then please share it with us. Alternatively, there is an exciting national resource launching soon where you can upload your story directly. For more information on this, go to http://www.livesofthefirstworldwar.org/
I hope that as the project develops, it captures the interest of pupils, parents and teachers alike allowing us to tell stories of contributions that may soon be forgotten. I look forward to sharing these with you along the way.
Mr McTaggart - Headteacher
- WW1 Poppy Project : ( WW1 Poppy Project.pdf )
- Class 12 Ernest John Everitt : ( Class 12 Ernest John Everitt.docx )
- Class 8 Harry Ernest Willsher : ( Class 8 Harry Ernest Willsher.pptx )
- ELIZABETH fOSKETT 2 : ( ELIZABETH fOSKETT 2.pptx )
- Katherine Evelyn Luard Class one : ( Katherine Evelyn Luard Class one.pptx )
- World War 1 Presentation Lauren : ( World War 1 Presentation Lauren.pptx )
- Bertie and George Clark : ( Bertie and George Clark.pptx )
- Class 10 Harriet Cole : ( Class 10 Harriet Cole.pptx )