When learning Modern Foreign Languages we believe the following to be essential characteristics:
- The confidence to speak with good intonation and pronunciation.
• Fluency in reading.
• Fluency and imagination in writing.
• A strong awareness of the culture of the countries where the language is spoken.
• A passion for languages and a commitment to the subject.
• The ability to use language creatively and spontaneously.
• An independence in their studies and the ability to draw upon a wide range of resources.
Pupils in our school learn Mandarin and benefit from the interventions of Miss Huang who is our Chinese Language Assistant. She is with us from September 2018 to June 2019 from Suzhou city in China. This is our 5th year of teaching Mandarin through the use of a British Council-subsidised Chinese Language Assistant.
Other languages may also be introduced to link with other subjects or to reflect pupil's needs.